This was my first time roasting a whole chicken, and honestly, it was a little intimidating at first. Prior to getting my cooking on, I struggled to get the bag of gizzards and neck out of the bird. For a split second, I wondered if I was a little too in over my head. Turns out I wasn’t and ended up making an absolutely delicious roasted chicken that had everyone raving! It was shockingly easy to make.
The original recipe comes from Food Network’s Ina Garten and while I did my best to follow her instructions, I added a few touches of my own. When it comes to the veggie selection, I chose to include Brussel sprouts and parsnips, but I wish I added even more root veggies to the mix. Instead of butter, I opted to brush the bird with olive oil and sprinkled it with a nice coat of Lawry’s before popping it in the oven.
I roasted a Perdue Harvestland Organic Whole (With Giblets) Chicken which came vacuumed sealed and frozen. I stick with this chicken brand for a whole bunch of reasons (see this post!) but the main reasons include that their chickens are:
- USDA Certified Organic
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- No Antibiotics Ever
- No Hormones or Steroids Added
- All-Vegetarian Diet
Lemon, garlic and thyme are stuffed into the bird prior to roasting which produces a rich, slightly zesty, savory broth that soaks through the veggies below the chicken. The chicken itself came out super tender and juicy, while the veggies were equally tender and tasted incredible thanks to the flavorful au jus from the meat.
And I just love the usage of fresh thyme in this recipe! The mix of roasted veggies creates a gorgeous bed of flavors for the chicken.
Without further ado, here the recipe for the easiest (and tastiest!) roasted chicken recipe ever!
- 1 Perdue Harvestland Organic Whole (With Giblets), 3.4 – 4.6 LBS
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges
- 3 parsnips
- Brussel sprouts
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets bag. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.
- Place the veggies in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top. Sprinkle with Lawry’s.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours at 425 degrees F or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.
Use this link to receive 15% off your order, plus a free pack of diced chicken (and orders over $119 ship for free in the Continental U.S.!).
Looking for an easy chicken dish to make? Pin this recipe for later: