Need a new go-to recipe that’s quick, satisfying, and ridiculously flavorful? Then say hello this healthy steak fajita salad! This hearty salad starts with a warm, cheesy layer of beans and is topped with leafy greens, crunchy veggies, ripe avocado, and finally an expertly seasoned and seared portion of flat iron steak. Bringing it all together is a zesty cilantro-lime vinaigrette that is literally delicious on any protein or veggie!
I am not normally someone who suggests a salad for dinner but this recipe is an exception. Tender, well-seasoned slices of steak laid atop a bed of perfectly dressed leafy greens in combination with a variety of fresh veggies and avocado? Yes, please!
And the cilantro lime vinaigrette? Total GAME CHANGER. The dressing honestly steals the show and beautifully amplifies the flavors of the entire dish.
If you have dietary restrictions, simply leave out the beans and cheese and—BOOM—it’s paleo and Whole30 friendly. If you don’t, load your bowl up and eat it with a side of tortilla chips or toasted tortillas.
The ingredient list is lengthy, but they’re all common things you probably already have in the pantry, and the recipe itself takes less than thirty minutes. The steak I’m cooking is Niman Ranch’s Flat Iron Steak. After just a quick sear it cut like butter!
The dressing is made simply by dumping all the ingredients into a blender and blending until smooth. The rub is made quickly as well. No time wasting sitting or marinading either! Chop, blend, rub, grill, assemble… and EAT!
How To Make This Steak Fajita Salad
Start by mixing all of your fajita rub spices together. Can you tell this steak is going to be RIDICULOUSLY FLAVORFUL? Just the aroma of the spices should be getting you excited!
Rub the mixture all over your steak. Heat your skillet up on high heat with a bit of olive oil and proceed to sear your steak on each side for about 4-5 minutes, depending on how thick your cut is. This high heat sear really maximizes that incredible fajita seasoning flavor of the juicy steak.
How To Make The Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
I can’t express how much I love this simple vinaigrette. It’s so easy to make and the flavors are incredible. The acidic, herbaceous notes go perfectly with the spices and hearty, meaty flavor of the seared steak.
Literally toss everything in the blender and blend until smooth.
Put It All Together
Within 30 minutes you should be digging into this treasure trove of deliciousness! The way I like to assemble this is by warming up a layer of beans and topping with cheese so it gets melty. Next, I pre-dress my leaves so each one is coated in the vinaigrette.
Then I top with a little avocado, peppers and sliced cherry tomatoes, and of course, a nice portion of sliced flat iron steak. Lastly, I top it off with more cheese and toast a tortilla or grab a bowl of tortilla chips to eat alongside my salad.
Quick & Healthy Steak Fajita Salad With A Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- Cast-iron skillet
Fajita Dry Rub
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
Steak Fajita Salad
- 1 lb Skirt Steak Or prefered cut
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Or as needed
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce Or any leafy greens you like
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatos
- 2 Avocados
- 1 bag Mexican Shredded Cheese Mix
- 1 can Beans
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Lime, squeezed about 2 tbsps
- 2-3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- Remove the steak from the fridge and set on a cutting board to come to room temperature while you prepare the vinaigrette and dry rub.
- Place all vinaigrette ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Place all dry rub ingredients into a small bowl and mix until thoroughly combined. Rub the fajita seasoning into both sides of the steak.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over high heat. Add the steak to the grill pan and sear 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove the steak from the skillet and place on a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Thinly slice the steak against the grain.
- Prepare the salad! Start with a warmed layer of black beans, followed by a layer of cheese so it gets melty. Top with your dressed greens, avocado, peppers and sliced cherry tomatoes. Finish it off with slices of steak and a drizzle of your vinaigrette. Sprinkle more cheese and serve immediately.
Craving this steak fajita salad? Pin it for later!